Friday, March 13, 2009

Australia Trip Days one and Two: Part B

So my first post was a little scattered. I was rushed. Everyone was waiting on me to go to dinner. We ate at Nando's which is the equivalent of El Pollo Loco but with varying levels of spiciness. So here is the run-down.

Day 1:
  • We landed at 7:30am, breezed through customs, and met the Yermacks at Sydney airport.
  • We got 6 kids and 5 adults plus all the luggage into a single vehicle and arrived 30 min later at the hotel around 9am and can't check in b/c it was too early.
  • So we drop off our bags and descended onto the Chinese Gardens down the street about 1Kilometer away.
  • A couple hours later we check in and go to lunch in China Town at "The Market" food court.
  • I ate sushi and sea food soup with fresh white rice noodles.
  • Then we went over to the Power House Museum and saw the Star Wars exhibit and the other various engineering contributions by famous Aussies.
  • Then we went to the Hanna's Meat Pies (fresh). I ate a beef and mushroom meat pie. Yum.
  • Then we went back to the hotel and rested.
  • Then we all went out and ate Spanish Tapas and great Sangria in the Spanish sector about 1/2 K away from our hotel.
  • Then we came home and I passed out from eating and drinking large quantities.
Day 2:
  • Silvia was up at 3:30am and was working. I was enjoying sleeping in a bed like a normal person as opposed to the economy plane seat for 14 hours.
  • Then she went and got a plug adapter to plug in the laptop b/c she ran down the charge.
  • I had to fix a client's backup which was failing. Internet access is $22aud/day. Meh.
  • We all got organized and made it to breakfast at the corner place around 9:30am.
  • Seating 11 people is sometimes a challenge but rarely an issue for these poor restaurants in the city. I must say though that the denizens of Sydney have been very gracious and accommodating.
  • For b-fast I had Scrambled Eggs, Sausage, Canadian Bacon, Mushrooms and Onions, Beans, Salad w/ roasted tomato, thick toast (two slices), and an Espresso. This was listed as the "Big Breakfast" on the menu. We were so jet-lagged it was hard to make decisions. The girl who missed dinner ate almost as much as I did!
  • After breakfast and several trips back to the hotel to use the bathroom we headed off to the Botany Gardens and the Opera House. I swear the majority of my time in restaurants is spent shuttling children to and from the bathroom.
  • After the Garden tour and the Opera House tour, we cruised the shops and then ate pizza at a nice restaurant on the water front. Sydney has a many wonderful water front eating and shopping areas. It is definitely an model that some US cities should emulate.
  • Then we walked around aimlessly and listened to Aboriginal music while we ate gelatto. Yum. I had Pistachio gelatto of course.
  • I bought a CD of Aboriginal music.
  • Then we came back to the hotel and rested.
  • Then we left again...wandered around looking for a place to eat. We found a food court underground somewhere and I had Doner Kabob.
  • Then we came home and I passed out from eating and drinking too much...again.







No comments: